Epoxies have become a generic term for many different types of resin flooring systems. Epoxy is the fully cured end result of usually two components or resins that have been mixed together. Epoxies are known for their adhesive qualities and have been in use for many years. You can find epoxy being used for crack repair, primer systems, and final top coats for floors and surfaces. Epoxy coatings are available in an unlimited color palette as well as clear epoxy. Epoxies are often used as the bond coat for subsequent top coats of similar material or of higher abrasion and chemical resistance such as Polyurethane or Polyaspartic. An epoxy primer coat can be a “%” solids or water based. Usually for thicker applications 100% solids epoxy is used due to it’s ability to cure fast and it’s ultimate strength.
Epoxy Coatings allow for the color variety that comes with paint but the durability of a much stronger material. Epoxies can take foot traffic, vehicular traffic and sustain wear and tear from many industrial tools and equipment. Here are just a few of the benefits of our Epoxy Coatings Services:
- Fast curing and customizable curing times for cold or hot applications.
- Cost effective. Large areas can be coated for a reasonable cost and overall long term solution.
- The latest technology used.
Epoxy Color Flake Floor System
A popular floor finish for many commercial and residential floors is the Epoxy Color Flake Floor System. Here is a breakdown of how it is installed:
- Floor Preparation including grinding or shot blasting to provide a clean surface.
- Crack repair to fill and seal all cracks and joints. Epoxy is an ideal material to fill and repair concrete floor cracks.
- A bond coat is applied as a first coat to seal and coat the entire area. Usually with a colored epoxy similar to the color of the final floor.
- A second bond coat is then applied followed up by immediately broadcasting vinyl color flakes or chips onto the wet epoxy, until rejection (they no longer stick) and full coverage is achieved.
- After the color flake coat has cured and any loose materials have been removed a final and often two coat top coat system is applied. The top coats are often not epoxy but a polyurethane or polyaspartic material. Epoxies are ideal for adhesion but can sometimes leave scratch marks if used as a top coat.
The Latest Technology
Epoxies have evolved over the years and have just gotten better and better. Today with the advent of Metallic epoxy floors we are taking epoxies and resinous flooring to a whole new level. These metallic floor coatings use metallic powder to create depth and originality never seen in a coating before. Metallic epoxy Flooring Systems combine the durability and strength of Epoxy with the decor options of custom paint and natural chemical reactions that provide a truly unique floor system.
Metallic epoxy floors can be used in numerous applications never imagined. They bring floors to life with amazing movement and variations seen only in marble or granite until now. Metallic epoxy floors are ideal attention getters in the following settings:
- Car Showrooms
- Medical Offices
- Retail Stores
- Office Buildings